Wednesday, January 21, 2009

odds and ends

So when was the last time I updated this? A few days I think. Not much has happened. I made my own meatballs for the first time and they were good but next time I think I will cook them in the skillet method where I can turn them because the turned into meat... I don't know something flat on one side because of the oven. Of course I substituted oats for the breadcrumbs for Caleb but I think everyone should do this anyway. I've always prefers oats in my meatloaf and salmon patties, etc. I discovered that I could buy WF pasta and flours at amazon.com for much less money than buying at the healthfood store or making the trek to Deirburgs, and I'm very excited about that. I am looking for someone to share with though because I can't store (or eat) a whole case (12) of spaghetti. Since I have decided that making WF bread in my bread machine is out of the question I bought a loaf at the health food store until I can purchase a machine with a GF setting. The last time I bought the bread it was all hard and dry. This time it was soft and Caleb has already enjoyed two peanut butter and Jelly sandwiches. Maybe it just seemed soft after all my failures at making GF bread in my machine. At $6 for a TINY loaf I think it's still worth my efforts to try to make my own. Now that I mentioned peanut butter I have to say I was very exicted at Shop n Save this week. I was buying Skippy "Natural" peanut butter at Deirburgs but hated to pay the price for PB and now shop n save is carrying it. Yea, shop n save. I was so happy I bought two. Well they were on sale for $1.50 too. Shop n save also carries Bob's Red Mill WF bread mix too, which is exciting. I am still disappointed at times because half the time they do not have Brown Berry Natural Wheat and half the time they do. I even talked to the manager and told him I was disappointed because I would rather buy from him than make the trip to Wal-mart for it... The next time I went it was back... now it's gone again. GRRRR. Oh, Jenn committed on buying organic canned tomatoes so I want to mention that I bought some at Shop n Save in the Wild Harvest brand. I love that they carry this brand and frequently buy from it. Like buying my produce from Aldi, I worry about what country it's coming from. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure it's distributed by the same people who do Aldi food. All in all, I have to praise shop n save for making the effort to offer organic at a very resonable price. I hope sincerely that more people are buying it so that store managers know there is a demand for natural products. Still in a quandry about how to make chili without canned beans but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Did I seriously start this blog with: Not much has happened?

1 comment:

  1. I have never done chili with dried beans either. I think most of my fear of doing that stems from not knowing how much of the dry beans I should start with - cause they swell up, and I am so used to cans. I do use the organic beans when I can find them - no corn syrup in there. I like dark red kidney beans and black beans in my chili. I have been meaning to try the dried bean route tho...

    ReplyDelete