Friday, January 16, 2009

Well, tonight is breakfast for supper night. I was going to make the usual but I found myself reading on the Internet about how to make hash browns and found a site that showed how to make omelets too. I Know, I know it's silly. I figured hash browns were just shredded potatoes and fried but I wanted to make sure because I've never made them. Why do people even buy the frozen kind? I guess so they don't have to shred them; but frozen real estate is too valuable at my house so I never did. Plus it gives me something to do with the huge bag of potatoes I got at Aldi. So I'm going to make Turkey sausage for Caleb and regular for us (of unknown parentage), hash browns, and cheese and mushroom omelette's. Reflecting on the last two weeks of not eating out, what I am most impressed by is the amount of food that has not been wasted. I had some mushrooms left over from mushroom soup, a few I used in salad and I had just enough left still to chop up and use for the omelets. I never used to be able to buy them because they would go bad before I could use them all. Now that I am cooking more, I finding uses for everything. Leftovers are getting eaten too, for lunches or leftover nights. Today I did have a huge hankering for McDonald's. After I ate lunch (celery, peanut butter, honey, banana) it totally went away. It's just a body's habit: Hungry? OK, fast good = McDonald's. Speaking of natural peanut butter Caleb does not want to eat the kind that you have to stir. I'm going to have to shell out the money for the no stir kind... He's been so good about eating whatever I put in front of him I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. It really is kinda nasty, peanut butter has to have SOME sweetness to it. Caleb is also eating regular brick cheese now. He and I both love Colby Jack. It's better than the 'cheese food' he was demanding, which we still have some left in the fridge, but anytime he sees me slicing or shredding brick cheese now he's wanting some. I really love the land o'lakes individually wrapped cheese but I can't get over the excessive packaging it involves so I haven't bought anymore.

Last night was chili and I made my old famous recipe and for the first time read the ingredients on a can of beans. Why in the heck is there high fructose corn syrup in beans? I'm going to look for some different ones next time I'm at the store but I am also going *try* to use dried beans next time I make chili. I dump the whole can in with the juices so I'll have to figure out how to sweeten another way. We also finished off Caleb's turkey dogs and had white bread buns, oh the horror. Caleb did without a bun just fine. And unless I can find out how to make my own hot dog buns they are just going to have to be white bread. Considering we only eat hot dogs like 4 times a year I think we'll survive. I'm gonna try serving peanut butter and celery with chili from now on. That'll go over like a fart in church I'm sure.

2 comments:

  1. I eat my hot dogs & stuff with a slice of wheat bread. I hate white bread :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something about hot dogs and wheat bread together I can't stomach. I think I'll just skip them. Caleb

    ReplyDelete