Sunday, January 18, 2009

Well, it's been a bad weekend. Yesterday we had lunch at Subway and so we let Caleb get McDonald's. Then last night we went to his grandma's and she served beef hot dogs. I had ham and beans though. Then it got late so she served up a bunch of those little appetizers that come from the freezer. I don't even want to talk about them because it was really gross. Caleb spent the night there so goodness knows what he ate today. I fixed fried chicken, mashed potatoes, and mixed vegetables. The chicken was the best that I've ever made because I looked up on the Internet how to do it, never learned to fry anything. Not that knowing is good, but we rarely eat fried foods and it's much better than McDonald's. I used spelt flour for the breading and no one knew the difference. Mike wouldn't eat the gravy I made because it was too sticky. I have to try to remember to make my gravy out of corn starch like my mom has been recommending. To round out a weekend of bad eating Mike got us ice cream from Dairy Queen. It seemed kinda gross too actually. I think my tastes are definitely changing. I still need to work on incorporating "mostly plants." Caleb just requested "lemon water." for bed.

2 comments:

  1. oh the reason the gravy was sticky is because I made it with only Tapioca flour and it gets pretty gummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it something how your tastes change so quickly? You can begin to really taste all those artificial flavors & corn syrup and all that other un-natural stuff after you have been eating whole foods for only a short time. I love ice cream, and I stick with Breyer's vanilla or french vanilla. But maybe this summer we could get a machine and make our own - I bet it would be even better ;-)
    Cornstarch works really well for gravy, Just make sure you mix a small amount with an equal small amount of the liquid before stirring it all in. It is the master of clumping if you don't. I mix like 2 Tbsp cornstarch with 2 Tbsp of the gravy liquid, then stir it all into the gravy. If you need more then put another 1 T cornstarch with 1 T of the gravy and do it again.

    ReplyDelete